Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Why I'm Going On (probably indefinite) Hiatus

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

    It's with a bit of a heavy heart that I need to make the following announcement. Eagle-eyed readers might know what's coming next:

I'm done

    I (re)started this blog a little over a year ago, and in that span I published 113 entries. That's pretty good for 13 months. But, I think it's coming to an end. Actually, I don't think it is. I know it is. Because I'm the one writing these words right now. My plan when I started this blog was to keep track of my gaming. And I did it for myself. I never thought anyone would read anything, or would give a shit what I had to say. I had no preconceptions about having a readership. And that largely remained true. Ironically enough, in the last few weeks I've had a ridiculous boom in both views and comments on some of my pages. It might have to do with a certain bloody game that's all about being born. Maybe.
    Quite simply put folks, it's not much fun anymore. Every time I sat down to play a game (with a few exceptions), I would need to do any combination of the following things:

  • take pictures/screenshots
  • Make detailed notes
  • Make boss notes (complete with my strategy, their aesthetic look, and anything else about them)
  • And if I didn't do any of that right on the spot, I'd have to do it later, and rely on my awful memory to try to write posts days (with some games, weeks and months) after having played. 

    I just finished Castelvania: Circle of the Moon, and I've been dreading writing that post. Partly because I started it mid-February, and it's just been so long since I started, and there's been so much time that it isn't fresh anymore. Doing that write-up would feel much more like homework or a chore than actual writing I enjoyed. That's the reason I never finished my Dark Souls II DLC write up of "Crown of the Ivory King". Too much time had passed, and I just wasn't into that world anymore.
    I would also like to focus more on my short fiction writing. I miss writing short stories. I would love to start getting ready to write a novel at some point as well (you may let the laughing commence). It's been great that I've been writing with this blog, but it isn't the same. I can't be very creative here, relatively speaking.
    Finally, I miss my damn free time. Almost every day on my lunch, instead of being able to play games or read (what a novel (tee hee!) concept!), I've been writing Bloodborne stuff. It's exhausting. I just wanna play games without having to worry about taking studious notes and remembering every little detail.
    If anyone is disappointed, I'm sorry. You'll get over it, don't worry. I'll let you know my immediate plans though: continue playing through, and beat, and get the platinum trophy for Bloodborne. After that, I'm either gonna go on a PS3 bender or dip back into NES/SNES. Haven't decided yet. Of course, I'll be playing handheld games on my lunch too. In fact, I'm about to start Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on my PSP. Yup, another Castlevania game. Can't get enough!
    All right, this has already taken more time than I wanted it to. While this hiatus is indefinite, it doesn't mean permanent. I might come back at some point with a simplified version of my blog. I've been thinking of doing one about my quest to achieve platinum trophies on PS3/PS4 games. Who knows? If nothing else, I think I will still post one final "Final Impressions" post on Bloodborne. If I do, I'll let everyone know. Don't expect anything else after that one (if indeed I end up doing it).
    I'd like to thank everyone for their support and for reading all this dumb shit. If you've enjoyed it, I'm grateful. If you didn't enjoy it, fuck off. Just kidding. You can just screw off instead.

    Have a good day, a good night, a good month, and a good year. I'm sure we'll see each other around.

Instagram: kalameet
Twitter: ka1ameet



2 comments:

Adam Blue said...

Hate to see you go! But I know what you mean about taking notes. For my entries, videos, etc, I do not have notes. I think it takes up time and enjoyment of a game. I just do my best to remember and maybe voice the entry as an enthusiast.

Nosferat2 said...

Thanks! I'm not writing it any more, but I still check it every so often. I'm afraid if I didn't take any notes I just wouldn't remember anything. My memory for this kind of stuff is just god awful. So it's either me taking these dumb notes, or not taking them, and totally winging it. Would definitely be more fun to write that way, but probably not as much fun to read. Anyway, thanks for reading what I DID write!