Friday, October 31, 2014

Shane Remembers... (10/31/2014)

Halloweeny!

 

 

 

Picture courtesy of wikipedia


    

RESIDENT EVIL: SURVIVOR (PLAYSTATION)

    Another game my dad and I rented back in the day (in those days, we were both fairly obsessed with anything Resident Evil). This “my dad and I rented a game together” story ends much better (and more heart-warming!) than the Riven one from last week. This was a Saturday or Sunday, and maybe it was even rainy out, and my sister and mom were out. So, being the video game guys we were, we sat down and took turns playing through Survivor. We beat it in a few hours, in one sitting. Still probably the only time I sat down and beat a game in one sitting (minus super-short SNES games that take 30-40 minutes). I don’t remember much from the gameplay (ha, what else is new. Hopefully you guys don’t get sick of that phrase!), but it’s a great memory I have of playing a cool game with my dad.





Picture courtesy of wikipedia

    

MONSTER PARTY (NES)

    Maybe I lied a little bit when I talked about The Three Stooges being one of three games I remember playing for NES. Besides Duck Hunt (but not really Super Mario Bros., oddly), I absolutely remember playing this game. I’m almost certain we owned it, or at the very least I rented it. I only remember playing the first level, and when it turns to that “evil, blood-soaked” kind-of area, I remember that it freaked me out (I’m cautious to actually say it scared me. Can an 8-bit NES game really scare someone?). Those damn upside-down yellow legs and those weird dogs with the humanoid faces. Heeby-jeeby city! The whole game is right up my alley too (a game full of monsters!). I recently played it briefly on an emulator, and it was hard as hell. Gotta get my hands on a cart to play it authentically. 





Picture courtesy of game oldies

   

THE ADVENTURES OF DOCTOR FRANKEN (SNES)

    I totally forgot this game existed until a few years ago when I saw it featured on a Frankenstein-themed episode of Angry Video Game Nerd a few years ago. I was taken aback when I heard the Nerd say how much this game sucked. I always remember enjoying it as a wee lad (again, a game I rented a few times at least). The graphics were pretty cool, and Frankie there looked great (or so I thought. I mean, look how cool he is up there!). I remember liking the backgrounds and enemies, I think? Unfortunately, I remember very little of the actual game or gameplay. Maybe one day I gotta play this again.




Picture courtesy of amazon







    

ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBORS (SNES)

    Okay, this one is cheating a little bit, because I still own this game and play it often (at least relative to all these other games). But how can I talk about Halloween/monster games and mention this one? I LOVE this game. I have ever since I played it as a young child. It appealed to me perfectly: all the cool, classic monsters (which was, and still is, a huge draw for me), the easy-to-learn gameplay, all the goddamn levels (so many!). I'm ashamed to say I have yet to actually beat this game, try as though I might in the last seventeen-or-so years. I remeber always getting to the levels in the 30's, and it would be a mad dash to try and find the one neighbor (because at this point, I only have one left alive). So I'm pretty unfamilair with the later levels, simply because I had to race through them like a maniac to find the neighbor. One day, I will sit down, and I will beat this game. While I don't have this included in my official backlog, if I can successfully beat it, I'll probably write a post about the ordeal. Final note: amazing two player game!




Picture courtesy of giantbomb

 

VIRTUAL BART (SNES)


    Okay, I'm also cheating on this one a little bit too. This isn't a Halloween themed kind of game. But gosh, it is so very difficult for me to think back and remember any others, besides what I've already listed here. Maybe I just didn't play many in my formative years? At any rate, I've included Virtual Bart here because while it may not be a Halloween game, it still gave me nightmares. Why? Well, mainly because I would always rent it, but never be able to beat it. In fact, I don't think I could really beat any of the individual sections. It was (and still is) the same with Bart's Nightmare. I'm woefully bad at both those games. This one though, I distinctly remember the tomato throwing sections, the Mad Max bike-riding section, and I wanna say a section where you have to navigate through a water tube without running into a stuck Homer. Overall, I think I like this game more than Bart's Nightmare, but neither are amazing. 


    Thanks for checking out this (mostly) Halloween-themed installment of "Shane Remembers...". Tune in next week for another amazingly awesome post (I actually already have it written, and it's scheduled to post! Easy week for me)











 

0 comments: