Friday, November 14, 2014

Shane Remembers... (11/14/2014)

Let's create some shit!

Picture courtesy of wikipedia

WRECKING CREW (NES)

    I never got around to playing this interesting game until I was in high school. My best friend at the time David somehow got himself a NES (maybe it was his uncle's?), and this was one of the games. It's really the only one I remember playing on his NES actually. What I really enjoyed about it was the level editor (even though I was (and mostly likely still am) awful at using it). In general, I will gravitate towards games that have a level of customization, or especially level creation. Besides that, I remember this being a very fun little puzzle game. Hoorah for blue-mustachioed Mario!





Picture courtesy of wikipedia

RPG MAKER (PS1)

    God, how I loved this game. I bought it back in the day, and like a complete blockhead asshole, I sold it. I don't even know why I loved it, considering it was complex as hell, and I barely did anything in it. I loved the idea of it: you could FULLY CREATE YOUR OWN RPG! Look how badass the cover makes this out to be! Amazeballs, right??? Well, it isn't quite that awesome, but for the PS1, it's astounding what they shoved into this game. Ignoring the fact that all the monster sprites are static, and are basically high-level NES/low-level SNES graphics, it was just mind-blowing that you could NAME the monsters, and assign them HIT POINTS! You could give them CUSTOM MAGIC SPELLS! Holy shit! Anyway, this game was nigh-incomprehensible to my child-like mind (well, teenage mind), and the instruction booklet was as thick as an 1950's era sci-fi novel. Still, I loved it, and I wish I had it. Even though to make a game that lasted ten hours, it would take probably 150. Still, CUSTOM MAGIC SPELLS!





Picture courtesy of giantbomb

TIMESPLITTERS (PS2)

    I'm going to say this here, to clear the air, for all the world** to know: the Timesplitters series is my favorite video game series of all time. Yup, I like it more than Zelda; more than Mario; more than Grand Theft Auto; and yes, even more than my dearly beloved Souls games. It's funny, because I rented to this game so long ago never having heard of it. Why did I rent it? Because the back of the box boasted about a LEVEL EDITOR! Bam! I was fucking sold (well, rented). Anyway, I got home and barely touched the level editor. I was too absorbed with the fun, but hard as hell story mode, and the amazingly addictive challenge mode. Let's not forget the FANTASTIC multiplayer. However, I didn't really dive into the multiplayer (no online bullshit here. All couch/split screen goodness) until the second game (which I'll probably use in another "Shane Remembers...", along with the third game). If you've never played these games, start here. Fuck a new Call of Duty game. Play this instead.




Picture courtesy of emuparadise

SIM THEME PARK (PS1)

    When I started out writing this blog post, I had no theme in mind. After I finished the Wrecking Crew anecdote above, I decided I'd go with a "creation" theme. And what better creation series is there than The Sims? And while this isn't a normal Sims game, I love it dearly. This one I played a lot when I was younger. Setting up the park, researching new rides, trying to build a sweet roller coaster, fixing up broken rides, all that fun stuff that comes with owning a theme park are included here. I was never great at the game, but always good enough to unlock the next themed area. I like the Halloween area a lot (the second area, I believe?). Obviously this game is dated as hell now (that first person, walk-through-the-crowd mode thing? Yuck), but I still find immeasurable pleasure playing it!




Picture courtesy of wikipedia

 TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND (PS2)

    My god, did I love this game growing up. I liked all the Tony Hawk games, but this one was the best for me. Especially that first foundry level. Ah, the memories. I currently don't own this game, but that might have to change very soon. At any rate, in keeping with the theme of "customization" for this week, this game had a great "create-a-park" feature. You could also create your own character for the story mode. I honestly can't remember much about the skate park creation tool, but I know it gives you a huge amount of variety and freedom. I always liked making small empty pools. Like, make them as tiny as possible, so you could barely even skate around in them. I was hardly an architect, so the designs of them were pretty ghastly. But hell, it was great fun. I wish I could spend the rest of my lunch (51 minutes and counting...) playing Tony Hawk's Underground


Thanks for tuning in to another special episode of this dumb blog post. Check back next Friday, where I may or may not reveal who the real culprit is. 


**the three of you who will read this


0 comments: