Friday, December 12, 2014

Shane Remembers... (12/12/2014)

 Enjoy some scary lame-ness!






Picture courtesy of wikipedia

NIGHTMARE CREATURES (PS1)

    This was another game that my dad bought completely at random one day. This may have been the first violent game I ever really played. I think we even had this before Resident Evil. I enjoyed (and still enjoy, although it's certainly shown its age) this game quite a bit: it was full of great monsters (zombies (which come in TWO different colored jeans!), werewolves, big hulking Hulk-like brutes, uuh, other scary creatures. Straight from your nightmares!), had a cool Gothic look, you could choose between two characters, and it had some neat weapons. I played it recently (about three years ago), and holy potatoes, is it hard! Maybe it's just because I'm rusty, but I had a hell of time with level two. The controls are crappy, and it's tough to dodge incoming enemy attacks. What other game can you play as a character named Ignatius?




Picture courtesy of somewhereinthemidstofnowhere

ONE (PS1)

    Hey, yet ANOTHER game from my youth that my dad bought totally blind. This is an action game where you shoot bullets from your gun arm (I think. If I remember correctly?). The more damage you do to your enemies, the stronger your gun gets (I think. If I remember correctly?). It's a very arcade-y game. It's also hard as balls. I think it only has five or six levels, and I don't think as a kid I ever got past level two maybe (I think. If I remember correctly?). Decently fun run-and-gun kind of game. Pretty unknown for the PS1, but if you can find a copy, grab it. I'm pretty sure it is super duper, ultra luper cheap.





Picture courtesy of giantbomb

FAMILY FEUD (SNES)

    This one might seem like a wicked stupid entry to put here, but I disagree. Let me tell you why: firstly, it's a game I played as a child (err, teen I guess); secondly, this game is hella fun; thirdly, it's pretty damn funny. Okay, it's very lame to play a game based on a lame game show. But it's got Ray Combs as the host (or a pretty reasonable facsimile)! Anyway, I'm really rambling. I occasionally throw this game in for some good clean fun. It's like the gameshow, where it asks a question that was polled to 100 Americans, and you are supposed to provide the most logical answers. Typing answers with the SNES controller is great fun (read: NOT FUN AT ALL). Also, your answers better be EXACT! Example: if the correct answer is "house", "home" will not suffice. Also, if the answer is "cat", "cats" will not suffice. Even though, I think it's got a pretty large reserve of questions, and it is legitimately fun (if you're playing with another real person) to try and guess the right answers. And no matter what answer you give, your digitized family (you can choose from five or six preset families. I will say, there's some nice diversity. I also think one of the families has George Bush in it) will always yell, "good answer!" This can lead to high comedy. Finally, the fast money round at the end (I don't remember what it's called) is the most fun, as it is on the show. So, in summary: lame gameshow + Super Nintendo = sort of fun game (?).





Picture courtesy of gamefaqs

NFL QUARTERBACK CLUB (SNES)


    Speaking of lame-ass SNES games, here's a football game. Probably the first sports game I ever had. I distinctly remember getting this for my birthday. I played it a decent amount, but I was never a huge fan. I don't remember if this had a season mode. It may have. It had the players' names, which was nice. The big hook was its spotlight on the QB position. It told you the starting QB for all the teams (circa 1994-or-so). There was only one that mattered: Drew Bledsoe! 'Ol cement-shoes himself. The graphics were not great, and I always thought the colors, specifically, were pretty crappy. Generally, I would never go back and play old sports games. Probably the only genre where I DON'T want to play the older iterations (ESPN NFL 2K5 notwithstanding). I still have this game, and VERY occasionally take it out to play with friends. It's a hit at parties!





Picture courtesy of wikipedia

THRASHER: SKATE & DESTROY (PS1)

    Aaah, skateboarding games. This was another demo disc game that I played a lot. I only played the actual game once I think (a rental). The skateboarding couldn't hold a candle (in my adolescent opinion) to Tony Hawk though. But, you were skateboarding in illegal areas, I think. I don't remember exactly how the game went, but you could be apprehended by a cop with a tazer (amazing that it's not a machine gun. Oops, sorry. I try to keep topical issues outta this blog). I think it even switched to the cop's POV when he got close. But that's not why this game is here. Nope, this game is here because of the most amazing thing that was ever implemented in video games: ragdoll physics! You can just crash and laugh your ass off at your horribly mangled body. Just crashing or falling in general was awesome. Boy, does that stuff look very painful. Why did we ever want to skateboard? Jeesh!


    Sorry if this entry isn't as strong as last week's. I feel that was the real high-point for this half-baked blog post idea. I also find it funny that in a weekly post called, "Shane Remembers...", the phrase I use the most is, "I don't remember..." (or some variation of that). Thanks for reading anyway!

0 comments: