Monday, December 1, 2014

Songs from Frozen, RANKED

Do you want to read a list?



    This is the second of two posts about my two-year old daughter, Kara. Well, it's not about her necessarily, but it's in honor of her. Yesterday (edit: her birthday was four days ago!) was her birthday (and some dumb holiday called Thanks-something-or-other), and I put up a post about her favorite TV shows and movies. I have a follow up list today: it's all about the songs from the movie Frozen. I'm sure this hasn't been done to death, right? At any rate, this is the definite ranking of the songs from the hit movie, based on the official soundtrack. There's nine total songs, plus an (dis)honorable mention.Sorry for the lateness of this post. I really wanted to have it up Friday, but I just didn't get to it. I blame that on laziness. Also, I listened to the soundtrack for this movie at least three full times yesterday, so today I am locked in and focused. Let's skip through a magical snowy wonderland of music!



9. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?"

    Originally, I had this one at number seven, but listening to it so many times yesterday, I can safely say this song blows, and it's the worst one featured in the movie. Luckily it's over with in the first ten minutes. It's a very overrated song, and really, it's just so damn sad. I wanna be happy watching a kids' movie, dammit! I would file this song under "annoying".



8. "Fixer Upper"

    Man, this song sucks too. The trolls are the worst part of the movie, so it's only fitting they have (almost) the worst song. As I wrote in my notes: "This song blows. Trolls blow. The end." I'll briefly expand upon those deep thoughts: the trolls are annoying and unfunny. Their voices kind of annoy me too. Nothing about these little rock bastards is any good. Especially that little girl.



7. "Reindeer(s) Are Better Than People"

    This song is pretty dumb, but it has a silly charm to it. Also, it's like fifty seconds long, so it can't be that bad, right? No trolls at least.



6. "In Summer"

    This is Olaf's big number. He's generally a pretty likeable (and actually occasionally funny) character, and this song has a few kind of funny lines (the whole theme of the song is clever too). Overall though, this one leaves me cold (HAR HAR!!!)



5.  "For the First Time in Forever (reprise)"

    This one is shorter than its counterpart, but still good. It starts off a little slow, but really swells to a great ending (great visiually during the movie too). I like the back-and-forth singing of Anna and Elsa. I wish more of the songs had that dynamic. Anyway, pretty neat song.



4. "For the First Time in Forever"

    This one is a fun song. Basically the opposite of "Do YOu Want To Build a Snowman?". Boy, what a fucking dumb downer song that is. This one here is also quite famous (for fuck's sake, they are ALL famous), but thankfully it's quite a bit more listenable (and catchy!). Has a few funny lines too, which is always a plus.



3. "Let It Go"

    This is THE song from the movie. Everyone knows it. Everyone sings it. It's definitely over-played and overrated,  but it's still plenty good. This part of the movie has some great imagery, and the lyrics to this song convey that well. Lyrically, probably the best song in the movie. Elsa has quite a voice to boot.



2. "Frozen Heart"

    While most of these songs are HELLA overrated, this one is underrated. In fact, I didn't care for this song the first 25 dozen times I saw the movie. But it really grows on you. It's short, foreboding, and interesting. It's also sneaky-catchy. I love the group grunt towards the end too: "HA!" (but not like, "ha ha, that's a funny joke"). Maybe it could be spelled, "HUH!" Anway, this song rocks the house.



1. "Love is an Open Door"

    I really like the dual-vocals in this song. This is the only song Prince Hans sings in, and maybe because if people heard his wonderful voice too much, they wouldn't believe he was such a dick. Again, like the reprise of "First Time in Forever", I really like how Anna and Hans go back and forth. This one also has good (and some funny) lyrics. All in all, I could listen to this song six or seven more times before I despise it for all eternity.




    There you have it, folks! If anyone tries to tell you that "Love is an Open Door" isn't the best song, or if they tell you "Frozen Heart" sucks, you have my permission to deliver the haymaker of all haymakers to their dumb jaws. But, as I look at this list, I feel like I'm missing something. After all, I only have nine songs listed here, but there are ten on the CD? Time for an honorable mention:

Honorable garbage mention - 10: "Let It Go" (Demi Lovato version)

    ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HORRENDOUS.


     I hope you've all enjoyed this! Again, Kara, if you read this in the future, don't mind the cursing, and thank you for allowing me to listen to these wonderful songs a total of 88,574 times in the last two months.

0 comments: