Thursday, January 1, 2015

Video Game Resolutions (2015 Edition)

 I love cliches!



    A year came to an end. Specifically, the year 2014. I could talk about how the year was (in general, good, with some shit thrown in), but you guys aren't here to read about my personal life. You're hear to, at least partly, read about video games. The year 2014 was a great one for me, video game wise. I played (and beat) a lot of games, I acquired (through various means) a lot of games, and of course I revamped my blog. Also, DARK SOULS II came out. Can't ignore that, considering the first 40 posts of this blog were dedicated to it. 
    So, what does the year 2015 have in store for me and my video game mentality? That's a good question. By a show of hands, who loves "new year resolution" lists? Oh, you ALL do? Perfect! I could sit here and tell you how I'd like to get more in shape (who DOESN'T say that in December 31? Regardless, it's true), try to reign in my anxiety some, try to read more books, and all that happy ox shit, but I'm not going to. What I AM going to do is let  you in on my VIDEO GAMES resolutions for the year 2015. 
    You can refer back to this page periodically to check and see how I'm doing with this list. [author's note, three months after the fact: that previous statement is untrue. I'm doing monthly updates!] Please enjoy! 


I'd like to beat a majority of the handheld games I currently own (as of 1/1/2015)

    My entire handheld library (Gameboy through 3DS)  isn't huge, so this shouldn't be too bad. [author's note: I originally wanted to beat ALL my handheld games, but there is just not enough time in a 365 day year. So a resolution to beat "a majority" of my handheld games is pretty lame, but whatever. I want to focus more on handheld this year than I ever have] Off the top of my head, I have eight handheld games I'd like to beat (not counting the two Star Ocean games. The verdict is still out on them). I'm expecting a few more in the next week or so, and I'll probably count those too. Handheld can be easier because I can play on my lunch break on work, which is at least an hour of play time a day.


I'd like to play games on every console I own

    That's everything from NES to PS3 (and hopefully PS4? Who knows, who knows...). Sometimes I tend to get stuck on a console for a long while (PS3 specifically), so I'd really like to play everything. 2015 is the year of the video game. I want a theme of variety to permeate everything. This should be an easy resolution.


I need to stop stressing over this damn blog

    Not directly video game related, but this is a big one. I started this blog for one person, and one person only: myself. Now, that largely still holds true, but I do promote this a fair bit (be it on Instagram or Twitter). In the end, this blog is maintained so that I can look back on it a few years down the road, and either A.) relive the great memories I had playing these games, or B.) laugh at how dumb this whole endeavor is. Regardless, this blog, whether it be in actual time, or mental time, takes up quite a lot of my time. Sometimes I stress myself over it. Why should I? I appreciate the fact that people actually do read this (even if it's only a small handful), but I'm not getting paid for it. I don't work for a company where blogging is my job. It's a way for me to mash two of my interests (writing and video games) together in a fun way. So, no more stressing. No biggie, guys. Seriously.


I want to BEAT these games:

    This is the real meat and potatoes of the matter here. Come December 31, 2015, at 11:59 PM, I want to say that I beat this list of games in the previous year. It's a bit daunting, but I tried to keep it manageable. Some games on here are ones that people have told me to play FOREVER, some are new titles I've just learned about and am excited, some are games I've owned for a long time but haven't played, and some are games I started but never finished. And yes, I will include (almost) every handheld game I have left to beat (that I really want to beat) on here as well, to go with my handheld resolution. Here it is (they aren't in any order, I just wanted them to be numbered):

  1. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)
  2. Any one of the PS1/PS2 era Final Fantasy games (barring XI)
  3. Ni No Kuni (PS3)
  4. (finish) Alan Wake (360)
  5. Child of Light (PS3)
  6. Clock Tower 3 (PS2)
  7. Duck Tales (NES)
  8. Faxanadu (NES)
  9. Star Tropics (NES)
  10. Galerians (PS1)
  11. (finish) Golden Sun: Lost Age (GBA)
  12. Granstream Saga (PS1)
  13. Magic Sword (SNES)
  14. Condemned: Criminal Origins (360)
  15. Pier Solar and the Great Architects (Mega Drive, via PS3)
  16. Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
  17. (finish) Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
  18. Undead Nightmare (Red Dead Redemption DLC) (PS3)
  19. Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
  20. Secret of Evermore (SNES)
  21. At least one (but preferably all three) original Splatterhouse games (Arcade/Mega Drive, via PS3)
  22. At least one of the following two RPGs from the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection (Shining Force or Phantasy Star) (PS3)
  23. Ico (PS3)
  24. (finish) The Legend of Zelda (NES)
  25. Ys III (SNES)
  26. Ocarina of Time (3DS)
  27. One of the following two handheld Castlevanias (Circle of the Moon or Rondo of Blood-from Dracula X Chronicles) (GBA or PSP)
  28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
  29. Final Fantasy Legend III (GB)
  30. Suikoden (PS1, via PS3)

    Oi, that's a lot of games. I have my work cut out for me this year. Obviously, I'm not  going to stick to this like it's set in stone. I'd like to play stuff organically: whatever strikes me in that moment to play. I highly doubt I'll beat all of these, but if I can beat half, I'll be sitting pretty.

    That's all for my resolutions. I mainly wanted to just blog about the games I wanted to beat this year, but then I expanded it slightly, to make it a bit more interesting. One final production note for 2015: I have a very loose schedule of how I plan to publish blog posts. I'll briefly list them below:


B-LOG SLAYING: This feature is my account of the most recent game I've played. Has no set schedule
BOOKS/GRAPHIC NOVELS: My thoughts on the various books/graphic novels I read. No set schedule
TOP & BOTTOM: This will be a new feature I roll out this year. Simply put, it'll be two lists containing my five favorite and least favorite things (not necessarily five. Maybe seven. Or ten. Or thirteen. Whatever arbitrary number I decide to use). No set schedule yet, but maybe twice a month?
SHANE REMEMBERS: I'm revamping this. Instead of it being weekly (Fridays, to be exact) short anecdotes about old games, it's going to be a monthly post about one specific old game I'm very fond of.
SIMPSONS SEASON 26 REVIEW: Yup, I'm still doing this. I know I'm very behind (see? Apologizing to my non-existent audience. That's stress!). These are simply my reviews of the newest episodes of The Simpsons. No set schedule
DIARY: Currently doing this with Final Fantasy IV Advance. For longer, more complex games (usually RPGs), instead of doing a ridiculously long, bloated, drawn out B-LOG SLAYING, I'm going to do weekly "diary" entries about the games. May end up doing a shorter, summarized B-LOG at the end. Schedule is every Thursday during the playthrough of the game
RANKED: Simply where I rank any number of random topics. No set schedule


    Okay guys and gals, I think that's everything. 2015 is gonna be a big year of gaming for me (hopefully), and I can't wait to share it with all of you! Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year's, and stay tuned for my (long awaited) Week 2 entry of the Final Fantasy IV Advance diary tomorrow, followed by a B-LOG SLAYING for Brain Lord on Saturday. Remember everyone, keep on trucking!

0 comments: