Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Final Fantasy IV Advance Diary, Week 8: THE ENDGAME

The end is nigh!


How would he even know?

 

    Here's the final weekly post of my Final Fantasy IV Advance exploits. I'm gonna switch it up and list the boss info first, then my write up of the rest of the game. Please enjoy!

DAY 28 (2/10/15. PLAYTIME: 23:11 TO 25:17)



Zeromus:

 

Zeromus, not true form
    If you read my Week 7 post, you know I tried, and failed, to beat Zeromus. Here's my second attempt, which I successfully did last night: 
    Okay, this second battle against Zeromus went MUCH better than the one a few days ago. To start out, instead of immediately using the Crystal and jumping into the meat of the battle, I had Rosa cast Haste on herself and Rydia, and Shell on the whole party, in hopes that it would take some damage off of Big Bang. I honestly have no idea if any of that worked, though.
    When I used the Crystal and the battle really started, I began with cast of Bahamut and I had Kain Jump. I was able to get a Bahamut off, and Kain jumped, before he used Big Bang. It only killed Rydia [author's note: it may have killed someone else. I don't entirely remember. I was too focused and nervous about surviving to take great (or, any) notes. So sue me!] ! Rosa used a group Curaja, and everyone was basically back to normal. 


Zeromus, true form, after using the Crystal
  

    For the remainder of the battle, I had Kain Jump, Cecil and Edge attack, and Rosa either use Curaja, Full-Life on the dead people, and even a single cast of Holy (which did AWESOME damage).
    At some point, Rosa ran low on MP, so I had Edge throw her an Elixir. I was eventually able to Full-Life Rydia, and I had all five party members attacking. Towards the end, Edge, Rosa, and Rydia were all killed. I was able to Phoenix Down and Elixir Rosa (who subsequently Full-Life'd Rydia). With Cecil's attacks, Kain's Jumps, and Rydia's Bahamut (I kept Edge dead because he's clearly the weakest and least necessary), I was finally able to bring down Zeromus. It was a tense battle through and through. However, though tense it may have been, it wasn't that difficult. He has a lot of HP and his Big Bang attack can be deadly, but otherwise all you have to do is stay on top of your Curajas and otherwise unleash hell on him.
    I beat him on my second try. Between the first and second try, I leveled everyone up three-or-four levels. They were all mid-to-high-50s. I wouldn't call this the toughest boss in the game. He's close, but for me, going by pure amount of deaths, both Dark Bahamut and the two Lunasaurs killed me each 3-5 times. 




    Story wise, I mentioned it in my last post, but I'll go a bit more in depth. You find Golbez and Fusoya fighting Zemus. They beat him handily, but then he comes back as the monstrous Zeromus. Golbez and Fusoya try again, but they get annihilated.
   Zeromus knocks everyone else out. Just when everything looks most dire, we cut to the Tower of Prayer and see everyone there. Somehow, they know how poorly it's going against Zeromus, so they all pray very hard to the Moon. Cut back to said Moon and a battle scene. All the previous characters (yes, even Tellah. It may be his spirit or something, which is why I thought he was still alive) show up and restore your party to full HP/MP. After this, the battle starts.
    Once you dispatch this (awesome-looking) motherfucker, you watch the S L O W E S T boss death animation ever (it's very satisfying at least). Then, you get a nice, silly little epilogue where it seems everyone lives happily ever after. Full disclosure here: I missed some of this because my daughter woke up from her sleep (she's sick!) and I had to go sit with her. Just know everyone has a happy ending (and Golbez!). Even Tellah, who it's hinted at that he and his daughter Anna have reunited in the afterlife. 

Or is it?


    Well, folks, I think that's about it. I've written eight posts about this game. That's a lot (it doesn't reach my 40+ Dark Souls II posts, but it's a clear second place). I have one more upcoming as well. Think of it as an abridged B-LOG SLAYING (which is what I'm going to name it, actually). It'll have a lot of links to the various posts I wrote. So, look for that very soon. Thank you very much for your patience over this 8+ week period. It's been a helluva a lot of fun, and I like this weekly diary format. In all likelihood, the next game I'll be doing a diary on will be Bloodborne. Sorry right now for the spam I'm going to be posting from that.

    One final note: after beating the game, a new dungeon on the Moon, called the Lunar Ruins, opens it. There are several more bosses and challenges that await within. I thought about playing through it, but what is the point? The game is beaten. What can I possibly gain, besides just an extended amount of time playing this game. One day, maybe I'll play through it. Not now. 
    And now finally, here are my end-game stats, right after the credits rolled:


0 comments: