Friday, March 28, 2014

Covetous Demon

Slimer The Hutt


    After you’ve made it through the poison ponds of Harvest Valley (and what a great looking place, I might add), you end up in the interestingly named Earthen Peak. Before the fog gate, there really isn’t much at all to explore in this area. I haven’t gone further yet, but I would assume it opens up after the boss. And what a strange, unexpected boss it is. I was expecting a different boss, but that one must be next. Here was a boss that I hadn’t really read anything about, and maybe had only heard its name once in various forums/threads. 
    What is it, you might ask? I affectionately refer to him as Slimer the Hutt. You see, he’s a large slug-looking monster. He’s got two small-ish arms, a face (complete with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth), and the other end of his body tapers off into a tail. He looks a decent amount like Jabba the Hutt from the Star Wars movies, and there is something distinctive about his face that really reminds me of Slimer from Ghostbusters. Really, if he were green, he’d be a dead ringer! I personally think his design is awesome. He might be considered a more “throw-away” boss, and he’s certainly quite easy, but he looks awesome. This is the kind of stuff I love: big monstrosities. Sure better than an endless stream of knights (even though I know we’ll be revisiting knights at some point down the line). 

Profile pic




     
    This fat bastard seems like he’d be awfully slow, but if you’re close to him, he can move very quickly. But he’s very easy to run away from to heal/buff/whatnot. If you go straight up right in his face, he can swing his arms to hit you, or he has an attack where he basically eats you. This actually doesn’t do a whole lot of damage (I thought I was a goner last night when he did it to me, luckily I was a phantom helping someone else out), but it does un-equip ALL your equipment. Very interesting, and something I don’t think I’ve seen in a Souls game. You’re naked with no weapons, no armor, and no rings. Nothin’, nada! But even so, it should be easy enough to run and re-equip your stuff. At least your weapons. 

Action shot!
  
    Besides these two attacks, if you go on either of his sides, he’ll roll over onto you, much like a cat might. It’s almost funny to see the first time, but it’s less funny when he rolls a second time when you aren’t expecting it, crushing you, dealing quite a bit of damage. That’s how I died the one time I did: I was on his left side, with a broken staircase behind me, and he rolled, but I had nowhere to go, because I was basically up against the staircase. I got away from the first roll, but he crushed me with the second. Such is life.
    If you try to attack his tail, he’ll do a tail smash move, which, again, hurts. Finally, he has a jumping attack that is so very easy to dodge; you don’t have to do anything other than strafe. There are plenty of opportunities to attack too; he’s basically the anti-Lost Sinner. His room is just a round room, lighted by candles and torches (I believe, I didn’t pay close attention to the small details of the room). As mentioned, there is a staircase that leads up, but the bottom portion is broken, so you can’t get up it.
    This is likely to be my shortest post. I even tried to pad this out just a bit, but really, there’s not much to it at all. It’s a very simple battle. There’s not a lot of nuance, strategy, even the danger of dying is small. I will say, on the left side of the room from the entrance, there are those silly poison pots, so I suppose you could get poisoned if you were careless. Hardly a problem, though. At least he’s a great (in my opinion, curious as to what others think) looking boss, and something that’s fairly unique for a Souls game.

Timed I died: 1
Difficulty: 2.5/10
Overall rating: 5/10

Next up is whatever waits past and through the Earthen Peak. We shall see, we shall see. Also, briefly explored the Gutter. Ugh

Lllllllll you died!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

BOSS SOUL DESCRIPTION: "...that devours all things; Eating is an expression of desire. There was once a man whose deep affections were unrequited. He transformed into the Covetous Demon, which only made him lonelier than before."

Bone Scythe

 BONE SCYTHE DESCRIPTION: "The curved spine of the Covetous Demon is hard as rock, and rather than slicing through flesh, this weapon seems to grind it apart."

0 comments: