Monday, March 31, 2014

Mytha, the Baneful Queen

You'd eat so much you'd transform into a horrible demon, too

(if she broke YOUR heart)


    This is an another easy battle in a little string of them recently. After killing the Covetous Demon and working your way through the mildly annoying Earthen Peak, you’ll find the oh-so-familiar fog gate. Now, a note about this battle (that EVERYONE knows about at this point, whether they read about it or figured it out themselves). This battle has a little trick to it, much like the Fool’s Idol battle from Demon’s Souls. In that game, there was a point where you can find a hollow enemy that doesn’t attack you, and in fact begs you not to attack him. You need to kill him, because he can revive the Idol when you kill her. Not good. With this battle, the Queen’s room is filled with poison, and the only way to clear out the poison (thus making this battle possible. I suppose it is possible with the poison, but boy I don’t wanna be the one to try it) is by burning a windmill earlier in the level. It’s super vague and I don’t know how people discover this kind of stuff. Not that it even makes sense logically: if it was a lever somewhere that visibly drained poison, that would make sense. But there are literally dozens of windmills in the level. How would anyone reason that this ONE windmill needs to be burned? Oh, Dark Souls!
    With the windmill dispatched, you walk through the fog gate, and you are probably a bit shocked at the God Of War-looking boss across the room. The ol' Queen isn't doing so well these days. In fact, she's basically a snake woman. She has a very strong Medusa vibe about her. Her chest and arms are still a female's chest and arms, but where legs should be, she just tapers down, like a snake. She's also green, which I assume is from all the poison. But what about her head, you may be asking? Well, her head has been decapitated! But don't worry, she's holding it in her hand, and uses it as a weapon, along with the long spear in her right hand. I think this is absolutely fabulous. I love this boss design. Finally, her room is round, and bug enough, but it's still surrounded by poison at the edges, so be careful you don't poison yourself. I'm sorry about the quality of the pictures for this one, they are particularly shitty. Taking pics and videos of this game is very difficult by myself, with just my phone camera.

There she is, being all baneful
    She has a few attacks with her spear, and a few with her head.She uses her head to attack with magic (which she shoots out of her, mouth? I guess?), but this is preceded with a scream, so it's telegraphed and very easy to roll away from. She has two different ranged magic attacks, and she will also toss her head at you. It'll land on the ground, and it'll explode with a large AoE magic attack a second or two later. So when she throws her head, back up a safe distance. Again, easy to dodge as long as you are paying attention (and really, who ISN'T paying attention during a Souls boss fight?). Also, she jumps on her head to reclaim it, and she stays stationary for a second, so you can get a few good hits in here. She also has some spear attacks and thrusts, but everything is easy to block with a shield, and even easier to just roll from. I didn't even bother with my shield for this battle, so I two-handed my (now +5 FINALLY) longsword and got to work. 
    I beat her on my first try. That even includes me strafing around her, with my shield up (I lied, I didn't totally ditch my shield), and maybe only 30% of my health, just getting a video of the battle, so I could grab these wonderful looking pictures. We're hitting on a bit of a trend here, with the ugly queen being the second or third easy boss in a row. But, what she lacks in difficulty she makes up for in great design (although I feel like people will dislike this design. I will say this is decidedly un-Souls-like) and interesting lore, at least as far as her boss Soul description goes. 

Times I died: 0
Difficulty: 1.5/10
Rating: 4/10

Up next we have Dragon God's little cousin, or something

Whiffing on her attack
Another glamor shot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOSS SOUL DESCRIPTION: "...who lives in the Earthen Peak; The Queen sought the King's affection, even poisoning herself to attain beauty, despite the monstrous consequences. All for the compelling madness known as love."


Mytha's Bent Blade

Mytha's Bent Blade: "Mytha was the fairest queen in the land, until something unhinged her. Was it the poison found deep within the earth, or the passion that consumed her heart?"








0 comments: