Thursday, March 13, 2014

Introduction To My New Dark Souls II Posts

LIKE A BOSS?

    I love video games. I love boss battles in video games. I love the "Souls" series. These games have probably the best boss battles/designs I've ever seen in a game. I'm here to put down my thoughts, day-to-day, of the bosses I encounter in the newly released Dark Souls II. I'll try to keep this free-flowing and coherent, but it'll be an exercise in stream of consciousness. While I do consider myself a decent writer, the writing I tend to do is short story fiction, so this is not quite my area of expertise. But I'm doing this 100% for myself, for posterity. I don't expect anyone to read this. I don't expect anyone to really care. I wanna write, and I wanna write about Dark Souls II bosses. I'm going to try to update every day with my thoughts, impressions, descriptions, probably some crappy strategy, and other various notes on the bosses I encounter. As of this writing, I'm only 6 hours in, and have found two bosses. Apparently there are a HUGE amount in the game. So, without further adieu, here we go

    But first, a few notes:

At the end of each post, I'm displaying three things:
1.) the amount of times I died on the boss (all numbers will be exact, except for the first few, before I started keeping track)

2.) the difficulty of the boss, which will be on a popular 1-10 scale (1 is easiest (think Pinwheel) and 10 is hardest (Flamelurker, False King Allant, Ornstein and Smough). It's also based on my very first playthrough. Once I beat the game, I plan on playing again, and I will update the ratings with NG+ ratings and new thoughts on the difficulty. Stay with me, it'll take some time to finish this one.

3.) I'm also giving an arbitrary rating to each boss, which really is how much I like them, all things considered. Things like the boss design, the difficulty, the overall battle, and any cool lore associated with it.

One final thing to keep in mind, I'm playing through with a warrior starting class, with the ring that boosts your max HP (can't remember the name, and for the record, I wish I picked something else). I'm meleeing everything, I have no magic, and only use bows and arrows in certain situations. So I'm always right up in it. I'm not playing in the Company of Champions Covenant, or whatever it's called. I will on a subsequent playthrough, but I really want to explore and figure out how the game is before I dive into something insane like that. Also, I love putting my summon sign down to help people out. I'm a helper, not an invader!

I think that's everything. I will try to update this daily, or bi-daily, and try to keep it interesting. Hopefully anyone who reads this enjoys it. Feel free to comment on anything and everything, and let me know if I missed anything/messed anything up.

Final FINAL note, I'm not great with the lore, so if I say postulate something that completely contradicts the lore (through item description or NPC interaction), please let me know. 



0 comments: