Monday, March 24, 2014

Flexile Sentry

We're all on a boat!

    Excuse my missing a blog post yesterday. Didn't have time. But don't worry, that means you get two today! Huzzah! Up now, we have Flexile Sentry. This name culls up images of a robot for me, probably because of the use of the word "sentry". Well, he certainly isn't a robot. He resides at the bottom deck of a ghost ship that you call for in No-Man's Wharf. A quick note on No-Man's Wharf: man, what a HUGE pain in the ass that place is. Probably the toughest for me so far. This guy, on the other hand, wasn't too tough. In fact, I came in, smacked him around a little bit, and called it a day. Yup, I beat this clown on my first attempt. Beating any boss in these games on my VERY first try is a pretty rare occurrence  for me. However, I got a little wind taken out of my sails (get it? Because you fight him on a ship!) when, while reading a thread on a DSII forum I frequent, I discovered he was a boss many people took down on their first try. Whatever, still awesome. The only other boss I can think of bringing down in one attempt is Pinwheel from Dark Souls (not sure if I can count King Allant from Demon's Souls, because it's almost impossible to die in that battle). I was happy I beat him in one try also because I spent the better part of probably 60+ minutes getting through No-Man's Wharf, and wanted to be done with it.
    Okay, now to the battle. Flexile Sentry looks very cool. He's two torsos conjoined, back-to-back, upon one pair of legs. He has four arms, and he quadruple-wields! Two arms hold some sort of falchion/scimitar curved swords. The other two arms hold giant metal spiked clubs.He moves very gracefully around his small room, and he has some great looking moves. In fact, the fluidity of his moves is close to stunning. It's almost fun just to sit back and watch him leap, spin, slice, and smash around. But of course, that's not what we're here for. We came for blood! As you could probably guess, he slams the clubs down with brute, slow force, and he uses the swords for quick attacks. It should be noted that both his sets of weapons cause bleeding, so BE CAREFUL. That's probably the biggest concern with the battle. I could see it ending very badly for someone who gets hit with too many bleeding attacks. There's an indestructible pillar in the middle of the room, and this can be used (to great effect) to keep something between him and you. I just blocked his attacks, and my halbred has such a great length, I could usually get one or two hits in after his attacks finished, before he started the animation for a new one.
    As far as his difficulty rating, I'm going to give him a "2". I know he's no pushover, and I'm sure it'll be much different on NG+, but I hesitate to give a "1" to any boss, because I want that to be reserved for the total pusses (again, this would be Pinwheel. I was so shocked at how incredibly easy he was the first time I fought him in Dark Souls. He's still the "1" standard). Also, I was constantly on alert, and felt that if I wasn't perfect, I would get killed. It was an anxious fight. So, it's a 2, but could easily be a 5+. Finally, I should mention the battle takes place in knee-high water, and it restricts movement somewhat. Not enough to make the battle significantly harder, of course. Overall, I liked this battle a lot. It was fun, still challenging, and it took place in an interesting area. Also, the boss looks just great. Not a knight!

Times I died: 0
Difficulty: 2/10
Overall rating: 8/10

Next up, the THRILLING conclusion to my two-part Gargoyle series...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOSS SOUL DESCRIPTION: "The Flexile Sentry is a merciless creature whose purpose is to punish the Undead." 

 

Arced Sword

Arced Sword: "Long Ago, the dungeons overflowed with the accused, and the King commanded a contorted sentry to deliver those who had no cells to a faraway land, and to make certain they were never heard from again."

0 comments: