Thursday, April 17, 2014

Giant Lord

Time travelin' fools


    This is the last easy boss in the game. Mind you, that doesn’t make him less annoying than a tougher boss, though. The Giant Lord resides in one of the strange Giant Memories, the Memory of Jeigh (must be the Lord’s name?). Let’s talk about these Memories for a moment, because I find them both fascinating and a little off-putting. Essentially, you are using the memories of long-dead Giants (that you find throughout the Forest Of Fallen Giants) to travel back in time, to the (I assume) height of the war between men and Giants. Now, time travel isn’t new ground here, it’s been breached before (with the excellent Artorias DLC), but it’s still just odd to have it in a dark fantasy game. It’s not relegated to sci-fi anymore, I guess. While I appreciate the idea, and this is in fact the closest a Souls game gets to a “set-piece” (they don’t need to get any closer), I feel this is slightly half-baked, or underutilized. You can only access three Giants’ Memories, and in reality only one is necessary to beat the game. Each of the three sections are very short, too. It’s very interesting to get a bird’s eye view of the war, but I wish it was a bit more fleshed out, I suppose. At least it’s different, and I applaud From Software from switching up the elements of the game.
    Okay, once you’ve gotten into Jeigh’s Memory, there isn’t much to do. Kill the Giant Lord, and gain the Giant’s Kinship, and that’s about it. When you start, you’ll go up a staircase, and walk through a fog gate. You’ll see Giants destroying the normal soldiers (seriously, their attacks do like 800 points of damage to the soldiers, while their attacks on the Giants do like 7 or 8). Be careful also, because besides the Giants and soldiers, you can also be slammed with huge fireballs that are catapulted from some indistinct area right onto where you are. This is where the annoyance comes in. After going through the fog, there’s a long stretch of area you have to run through to get to the boss, who just stands at the other end until you get close enough. You have to run and avoid the Giants’ attacks (not too hard, although I must say, in general, I HATE fighting these Giants), and you also have to be careful of the fireballs that rain down on you.

There he is, just chilling. I also love that this mask makes me look like I have a sick mullet

    About halfway through the area, you’ll see fireballs hit a large statue to your left side, and its head will come off, and roll towards you. Don’t panic though, if you go to the far right , it’ll roll by you, and get stuck, preventing the Giants from following you to the boss battle. At least you don’t have to deal with them. Once you get within distance, the boss name/health bar shows up, and it’s time to dance. Be mindful, those fireballs will still be shot at you.  The Giant Lord is a much bigger Giant, almost twice the size of normal ones (as far as height goes). He has a crown, some sort of kingly robes, and a large sword. I’ve seen it theorized that Giant Lord is in fact the Last Giant (whom you fought AGES ago. Remember him? Seems like I’ve been playing this game for a lot longer than 55 hours). This makes sense, and it probably is true. I think they are both the same size, and if you stripped the clothes and sword off the Lord, they’d look very similar. Much more so than if compared to a normal Giant. Also, in my Last Giant post, I talked about reading that maybe the hole in his face is not actually his face, like maybe something is supposed to connect to that hole. Well, seeing as how every Giant you see in the game has a hole in its face, I’m gonna go ahead and say this is indeed their face. How’s THAT for closure?
    This battle is easy. It can be played very similar to the Last Giant battle. Just stay near his feet, avoid his stomping attacks (you should be pretty proficient at avoiding getting stomped on by now), and just whack away at his ankles. If you stay close and under him, you don’t have to worry about his sword attacks, or those stupid fireballs (and I realize they probably aren’t actually fireballs, more like flaming rocks (??) being thrown via catapult), and this battle is fairly stress free.

I'm huge!

    I like the design of the boss, and his size is impressive. I realize he’s very significant to the story and the lore, but his battle is lackluster overall. It’s not an awful battle, but there isn’t much too it. A scary trend with boss battles, you say? Well, maybe. I think there are a staggering 33 bosses in this game, which has to be like ten more than the first game, so there are bound to be some stinkers. I’ve always maintained that I like the bosses in this game, and I truly do. Even the weakest of them are better than most bosses in other games. But it can’t be overstated: there are a lot of easy bosses in this game. I’m sure there will be new challenges with NG+, and I cannot wait for those. I’m conflicted, because I LOVE the sheer number of bosses, but I’m disappointed with the challenge of some of them. Eh, give a little, get a little, I suppose. But, as far as challenge goes, I’m in for a doozy with the final five bosses (three are optional). They are brutal, relentless, unforgiving, and HARD. Yowza. 

Times I died: 0
Difficulty: 2.5/10
Rating: 6/10

Okay, let's get down to business. Let's fight who might be the toughest boss(es) in the game (except for maybe one): the Throne Watcher & Throne Defender

----------------------------------------------------------------------

BOSS SOUL DESCRIPTION: "...who once conquered Drangleic; The Giants landed on the northern shores, and set siege to King Vendrick's castle to claim an invaluable prize."

0 comments: