Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Old Iron King

He's old. He's iron. He's a king. And he's a huge demon

    This battle kicks off with a great cut-scene. I’m a sucker for huge monsters emerging from various liquids, I really am. The King, in this instance, is a huge demon (yeah, he really doesn’t look at all the way I was picturing him to. He doesn’t look iron. Or old. Or like a king). As I alluded to at the end of my Mytha post, he resembles a smaller Dragon God. I mean, Iron King is still pretty big,  but you can see his whole body (basically). Dragon God was HUGE, and you could only see his top half, as he was standing (sitting?) in a giant pit. Dragon God was God-Of-War-big (jeez, two straight posts with God Of War references? Subtle foreshadowing?). But enough about Dragon God. Iron King is a fiery demon with giant wings. He looks freakin’ awesome, I must say. The cut-scene starts with him rising up from a huge lava lake. After this, he stalks towards you. Awesome!
Rising from the lava



Badass

    The place you fight him in his both small and large. The whole area is gigantic, but 98% of it is lava. You stand on a tiny platform, surrounded by the aforementioned glowing, orange, lava. Once the cut-scene ends, you gotta be careful of the lava, and take a minute to familiarize yourself with your little platform. Touching the lava is death, of course, so you need to be aware of where you are at all times. To make matters slightly more annoying, there is also a small hole near the door you walk in, and this is easy to roll into (in fact, my second attempt at this boss lasted about five seconds, because I came into the boss area, rolled, and rolled right into lava. I was not amused). Unfortunately, I feel the only real danger in this battle is the lava, because otherwise Iron King is not terribly difficult. I died twice, and both times were due to stupidly falling into lava. Even once when I was summoned to help someone fight this guy, I died because King hit me, and I flew back into the lava. Fuuuuuucking laaaaaaavaaaaa!

The King stalking towards you after the cut-scene
    Okay, down to the meat of this battle. The King has a few different attacks, all easily avoidable. He uses his arms to slam down, and this is easy to avoid, simply by rolling out of the way. After the arm attacks, he leaves them on the ground for a second or two, and this is your opportunity to really get some good hits in. Occasionally, he’ll also slam down with his arms while they are on fire. This too is easy to dodge, but I imagine it hurts a hell of a lot more than a regular hit (I don’t think I got hit by this attack. Truthfully, I don’t think I got hit more than once with any attacks from him). He’ll also shoot a slow stream of fireballs that can be (easily!) dodged. This whole battle is just waiting for him to attack, dodging that attack, then attacking yourself with the chance. Then whale on them arms!
    This battle is easy. No other way around it. That’s ANOTHER easy Souls boss battle. I wanna preface what I’m about to say with this: I LOVE this game. Absolutely love it. Obsessed with it right now. And I love these boss battles, even the lackluster ones. However, I’m starting to understand a bit why people have pointed to the boss battles as a weak area of the game. I didn’t wanna believe it when I read reviews and comments, and while I think they are generally better than people give them credit for, yes, I suppose it’s just the tiniest bit disappointing. Just too many pushover battles. BUT! I’m halfway, or a little more than halfway through the game, and I know there are still MANY bosses upcoming, and I can’t wait to experience them all. These are still my favorite boss battles (the Souls series as a whole) in any videogames. Finally, the pictures in this post are actually good! My wife was kind enough to take the video so I could be free to play!
Roar?

Times I died: 2
Difficulty: 2.5/10
Rating: 6/10   

What's that? You want a tough boss battle? Fine, have it your way!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOSS SOUL DESCRIPTION: "...who succumbed to the flames that swallowed his castle; The Iron King's flesh was charred, and his soul possessed by the things that lurk below." 

 

Iron King Hammer
 Iron King Hammer: "The corpse of the Old Iron King became the vessel that bred Ichorous Earth."

0 comments: